My Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Coasters!

I recently discovered this new store that I am in love with. The Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse is pretty much a glorified junk drawer. It's a crafters heaven. I bought an exit sign just because it was only a dollar! So anyways, one of the other things I bought from this fantastic store was tiles. I bought two different sets of tiles to make coasters!
 I decided to go with the octagonal shaped tiles first! I recently painted some furniture in my room light grey, while I was at Home Depot, I took a few extra paint chips with fun colors. I chose this set of colors because they're fun and summery!
 I traced the tiles, and cut out the correct shape from the paint chips.
 Then, I modpodged the coasters and laid the paint chips on top, pressing for about 30 seconds.
 The next step is to cover the tops of the coasters with a few layers of modpodge. I did 3 total. Make sure the previous layer has dried before applying the next. (To create a better look, I made sure to brush in the same direction and in clean, smooth strokes.)
 After doing the layers of Modpodge, I let them dry completely. Don't worry, you're almost done! Just two more easy steps! To finish off the coasters and make sure they are sealed and ready to be used, I used a clear spray paint sealer and sprayed a layer on top. Lastly, I cut small circles of felt and used a hot glue gun to attach them to the bottom so they can slide smoothly.
Then you have a cute set of coasters that were cheap and easy to make! You can make them to match any room!! If you don't want to use the paint chips, scrapbook paper or any other paper product would work as well!!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment